On October 18, 2008 I flew from Ho Chi Min City to Da Nang. From Da Nang it was an hour long van ride to Tam Ky where I finally got to see Miller in the flesh. I can't believe it has been a year. He was not happy to see me. As soon as they brought him near me he began to cry. The matrons at the orphanage were giving me dirty looks and asking my guide where my wife was She told them I was alone because Maureen was home caring for Griffin. I was probably the first man to ever pick try to pick him up. After a failed attempt to hold him the matrons tried to warm Miller up for me with snacks and toys I brought.
It didn't work. After 20 minutes of Miller ignoring me and rebuffing my efforts to engage him they finally forced him into my arms. Needless to say it was not a quiet embrace.
I took Miller away from everyone hoping with no matrons around he might warm up. Didn't happen. We stood in the orphanage's play area as to not bother the other family or the other children. After 20 minutes of Miller crying the initial visit ended.
It was a long muggy ride back to the hotel after leaving Miller at the orphanage for his last night there. The next day he would be turned over to me and be officially adopted. My guide told me on the ride back the matrons were upset I came alone and thought giving Miller to me was a bad idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment